Synology NAS configuration and research
by Mountain Computers Inc., Publication Date: Saturday, September 11, 2021
View Count: 408, Keywords: Synology, NAS, 16TB, 8TB, Hashtags: #Synology #NAS #16TB #8TB
I had the opportunity to revisit a NAS solution from last year for an engineering client. It was tough to decide on components in lieu of the price hikes, yet it was necessary to get this project going now, so here is what I found.
1. Synology vs QNAP - Synology based on reviews, price, and overall long term benefits
2. Number of drive bays? 2, 4, 8 ; Decision 8 bay
3. Caching ; 500GB or 1TB NVme; 500GB 970 Pro
4. Networking ; 4 each 1Gb/s with expansion to 2 each 10Gb/s
5. Backup strategy ; carbonite or backblaze ; carbonite primary; backblaze secondary
Overall; 2020 pricing was 30-40% less, yet we needed get from 200GB free on 3TB to be 4TB+ each for 2+ engineering departments, so 4x4TB giving 8TB or going with 4x8TB giving 16TB, or 4x16TB giving 32TB. all RAID10 versus SHR1 format...
1 each Synology 8 Bay NAS DS1821+ Diskless $999.999
1 each Samsung 970 Pro m.2 NVMe 500GB for NAS cache
subtotal $1169.98 s/h $0
4 each 8T Seagate Ironwolf 7200 RPM
subtotal $879.96 s/h $0
$2000-2600 in 2021 whereas $1300-1900 early 2020.
more to come...
if you found this article helpful, consider contributing $10, 20 an Andrew Jackson or so..to the author. more authors coming soon
FYI we use paypal or patreon, patreon has 3x the transaction fees, so we don't, not yet.
© 2023 myBlog™ v1.1 All rights reserved. We count views as reads, so let's not over think it.